Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Letter to My 13-Year-Old Self

Dear younger me,

I know what you are thinking, what you are feeling. Even though you may not want to admit it, I know what you are going through.

I know what is buried down deep inside you which you are scared to let out. I know how conflicted you feel; how confused you are with the situation you live in; how frustrated you are that things could not be different.

I know how from where you sit, life looks scary and dangerous. While that fear may be partially justified, do not let that scare you into your shell. There are so many experiences out there that you will not want to miss out on just because of the “unknown.”

I wish I could say “It gets better,” but unfortunately I cannot—not that it has not gotten better, of course, it is just that this 'better' is not quite what you expect it to be. But I can promise you this: It will get easier…if only for the fact that you will no longer have to go through it all alone.

When you except yourself for who you are, you will no longer have to hide that part of you. You will not be afraid of what anybody else thinks. And I can tell you, people will still love, regardless.

People will still support you and embrace you, and you will make some very good friends who will be there for you whenever you need them.

Unfortunately, I cannot tell you that you will find “the one” for you to truly love, at least not in this decade anyway. But do not let that discourage you from putting yourself out there for others to see and get to know. Some of them will become strong allies for the long haul.

If I could give you one bit of advice, it would be: do not worry so much about trying to impress your peers right now in order to fit in. I can tell you that in the long run it is not worth the effort. You will basically never talk to any of them after graduation anyways.

No matter what, life still goes on. Time will heal some wounds; and let the remaining scars be a reminder to you that you are a survivor.

So hold your head up. Be proud of who you are and confident in what you will become. Do not give up; I am rooting for you.

Sincerely,
Your older self

No comments:

Post a Comment